Your Ad Here

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

OnLive



Has anyone tried this out? Seems pretty nice, but I wonder about lag issues. They currently have a free trial with game demos available, I'll probably try it and let you all know how it works out.

OnLive is a cloud computing, gaming-on-demand platform: the games are synchronized, rendered, and stored on remote servers and delivered via the Internet. OnLive was announced in 2009 and launched in the United States on June 17, 2010.

The service is available in the United States for PCs running Microsoft Windows (7, Vista, XP) and Intel-based Macs with OS X 10.6 or later. A low-end computer, as long as it can play video, may be used to play any kind of game since the game is computed on the OnLive server. For that reason, the service is being seen as a strong competitor for the console market. All games on the service are available in 720p format and to play in high-definition OnLive recommends an Internet connection of 5 Mbit/s or faster. The average broadband connection speed in the US at the end of 2008 was 3.9 Mbit/s, while 25% of US broadband connections were rated faster than 5 Mbit/s.

Over 20 publishers, such as Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Epic Games, Atari, Codemasters, THQ, Warner Bros., 2D Boy, Eidos Interactive, and others have partnered with OnLive. Over twenty seven game titles are currently available from the OnLive service.

38 comments:

  1. Yeah let me know how the lag or fluidity of it is please. I run into too many services that have shit servers and big down-times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a gamer but this seems interesting, thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, didn't realise this was already released in USA, would be interested in seeing a European release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that sounds great. My computer isn't exactly good so even someone with a low end computer can run something like Crysis 2? I would be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update... btw, Beating Inertia has a new Q&A post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After some minor inspection I have determined that this is awesome. And by association, by posting this, you are also awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting post!

    followin & supportin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i always wondered when theyd start this... could this be the end of gaming pcs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I haven't tried this and since I don't live in USA I won't get the chance to test it for some time. Sounds very interesting though. Please tell us more about it if you try it :)

    @njohnfixes: It doesn't sound like it's something like Steam. Steam is just a program where you can collect all games in one place or that's at least what I've understood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i havent tried it and doubt i ever will

    ReplyDelete
  11. the comments you left on my last blog post were really helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I havnt tried this, but it seems like a good idea. So you can play a high end game with a low end computer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to know more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Something new to try...thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cloud gaming? interesting what type of games? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't but this sounds incredibly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wasn't there a bunch of problems with this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  18. so what I pay to pay just to play... on the web which I pay for?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your point of view in this post

    ReplyDelete
  20. is it basically any game? I don't know what game I'd want to play, I don't really do PC games

    ReplyDelete
  21. It doesn't lag but the quality is shit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah heard the quality wasn't very good.. haven't tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah the brushes are worth it. They is simply nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't tried it but lag would also be my main concern especially on PC platforms where every user is not on the same level.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @MikeNeumann
    I don't think that lag will be that much of a problem, it really isn't in any other online game on the PC right now

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never heard of it, might give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post!

    looking forward to reading the next one

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wasn't there a bunch of problems with this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  29. it could be nice, but my computer is good enough to handle my games so ...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I liked what you said on my blog earlier today... GTL and blogging FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pity i'm in the Uk, I would try onlive though.

    ReplyDelete